Storage rooms are no doubt the most overwhelming space to conquer when it comes to organizing and purging. They’re big, usually lacking shelving and EVERYTHING ends up there. However, having the right organizational tools before starting can make all of the difference when tackling this room. Here’s what we suggest you have ready before starting…
Challenge Time: 3 Hours
Green Garbage Bags/Boxes-For Garbage
Blue Garbage Bags-For Recycling
Clear Garbage Bags/boxes-For Donating
- Clean all of the items out of your storage room. Make sure that you have a clear open space to begin piling your belongings once removed. Being able to work in a larger space will make it easier to organize your possessions before placing them back into storage.
- Now that your storage room is empty, take a tape measure and see what available square footage you have for shelving. Make sure to watch for height restrictions as well.
- Canadian Tire and Home Depot both carry easy to assemble snap shelving units to outfit your space if you require additional storage capacity. Take some time deciding what works best for you before purchasing and don’t forget to bring your measurements along!
- Once you have your shelving set up and ready to use, it’s time to start organizing your belongings. Start to pile like with like. Any family albums, holiday décor, travel needs so on and so forth. Remember to purge during the process. Anything that hasn’t been used in a while can be donated or disposed of.
- Now that you have your categories, place them into clear bins so you can see what each one contains without having to open it. If you have solid coloured containers, simply label them with a sticker or piece of masking tape
- Once you’ve finished, take your boxed items for donation or disposal to the proper drop off point to clear the remaining clutter from your home.
Even though we suggest 3 hours for the challenge, everyone has a different pace. Feel free to take the steps as slowly as you like. Remember to turn on some music and have some fun while doing it! Good luck!